RSS

An online diary of someone who tends to forget easily.

Life in SG: People

Here's a late blog post.. I wrote this last Monday and it's only now that I get a chance to post it so here it is..


It's a rainy cold Monday morning and I feel so sleepy because of the drowsiness side effect of my new eye drop for anti-glaucoma. Anyway, since I'm not yet so busy with my work today I decided to write something about our life here in SG. Today it will be about the people in SG. So, let's start.

Singaporeans, Chinese, Malaysians, Indians, Filipinos, Americans, and British are just some of the people that you'll see in Sinagpore. You can easily identify if someone is Chinese, American, or Indian but distinguishing someone who is Asian is quite difficult for me. Some Malaysians look Filipinos, some Chinese looks Malaysians.

There are some places where these group of people usually stay in Singapore.. People from Sri Lanka can be usually seen in a Mall in City Hall which is called Peninzula Plaza where we went before to purchase a ticket that I can use for my exit strategy. There is also Little India here where you can see a lot of Indians. Farrer Park is where you can also find Indians and some Americans. There is also Chinatown where you can find a lot of Chinese. Now if you want to look for a place where Filipinos like me usually go for malling or buying Filipino goods then you have to go to Orchard especially the Lucky Plaza mall.

If you don't have any idea about this country you might think that its citizens or the people known as Singaporeans/S'poreans are all chinese..but nah.. you're wrong.Singapore citizens can be Chinese, Malay, and/or Indian, or combination of some races. You can ask Google for more details about this one if you want to know about it.

Enough of the races, let me share with you my observation about the people here. As you enter a bus or a train notice how people of all ages around you. I'm sure that you'll notice that they have something in common..a gadget. You can see they are all busy listening to songs, watching videos, playing games, or talking to someone using their mobile phones, tablets, etc. You can often see different color, brand, style of earphones and headsets on different people.

Aside from the people being techie I can also describe them as fashionable people. The way they dress is just sooooo lovely. From babies to grannies, oh my gosh, they all look so cute. Different people with different fashion styles, it's just so inspiring. Haha! I can see people wearing skirts, knit shirts, dresses, etc. Most of them are on Korean Fashion Style be it a woman, man, or even elders. I've also seen people with different hair colors - pink, green, purple, orange, blonde, etc.. some looks good on it and some are just.. oh well, as long as you're confident and comfortable with anything that you wear I guess that's fine.

By the way, unlike in some countries when you wear a certain outfit that is far from normal some would normally give you stares as if you did something very wrong, right? But here, most of the time they don't care what you wear. They are used to seeing girls wearing skirts, dresses, etc. But even so, for me.. I think it is important to make sure you still look pretty decent.

I forgot when was it exactly, but one night the uncle near our unit called me and then went in their house to get something, he gave me a box and told me the post man is looking for me that afternoon but since I'm at work he get it for me. I did not expect that he will do that because I'm used to getting my packages from the post office in the mall near us. I like online shopping but since we are usually in the office, many times the deliveries failed and I end up getting them in SingPost of Hougang Mall. But this time I don't have to do that because uncle get it for me. So nice. I was so happy. I said my thank you as I get the box.

Btw, unlike in other countries, in SG you cannot see a lot of security guards or police at the mall or anywhere. Usually they're all around you but you won't know them because they are dressed as civilians. You can see them wearing uniform only during special occasions or in the police station. Cool right?

At work sometimes when they have a box of cupcakes they usually walk around sharing it with the people they've worked with and even to those they haven't spoken with. Their English skills are great as well though sometimes when talking to some people I can't understand what they say and I often find myself asking them to repeat it.. maybe it's because of their accent and pronunciation. But they are mostly nice.

People here are health conscious. I often see them running around every night. Teenagers, young adults, adults, elder people usually do exercise. Elders usually do this every morning and young adults/teenagers can only exercise every night after school or work hours. They also like to eat healthy food and drinks. They all look skinny and healthy. 

They like traveling. Being a citizen of a first world country there are just numerous of advantages that you can avail when you can. Most of them loves traveling to different countries especially in Australia. They love traveling.. I guess that says it all.

Some people here can be so impatient sometimes, some can be rude, etc.. you just have to experience it yourself to know what I'm trying to say and how you can deal with it I heard stories from some friends telling me that some of their colleagues are working for their own benefit, asking help from others but claiming that they did it all by their selves, etc. 

Hmm.. I think that's all I can share for this post. I don't know what else to write about them. If you happen to visit SG notice the people around you, the way they look, talk, interact, etc. You might have different opinions about them compared to what I just shared in this post. Just remember to always be nice and respectful. 

Here are some additional about Singaporean characteristics found in this website http://newnation.sg/2013/02/characteristics-and-behaviour-of-our-3-3-million-singaporean-population/

Personality: Outgoing only with friends, nit-picky, can be hardworking and business-like, formal, like to LAN gaming, humble, but can be a show-off for those who are rich.

Favourite hangout: Orchard Road, Bugis Junction, Toa Payoh central, City Harvest, JCube, Zouk, Sentosa, VivoCity

Popular jobs: Give tuition, SAF regular, entertainment industry, modelling, blogshop owner, engineering, MediaCorp, SPH, advertising, banking, SingPost, food reviewer, freelance photographer

Pay range: Depend on kind of jobs acquired but between $500 to $25,000 per month.

Niche skills: Speak Singlish, use fake ang moh accent when speaking with Caucasians regardless whether Caucasians are from Russia, France or England. And like to bargain hard in Bangkok.

Bad habit: Like to pretend to sleep while sitting on reserved seat on the train, STOMP others, like to take MC, play with smartphone, enjoy sex scandals in the media, too quiet at times, overly attached to smartphone/ tablet, like to say KNNBCCB.

Women are portrayed to be materialistic and career-driven. But in reality, a lot of them would rather marry a rich man. And own a blogshop.

Men are thought to be underwhelming and not aggressive enough when pursuing their women. Not able to take initiative and can be too soft-spoken. Short penis.

Favourite past time: Watch Running Man, shop at ASOS, sing karaoke, BBQ, go chalet, shopping, eating, visit underage prostitute (some only), go church, go supper, drink alcohol, watch EPL.

Social integration: Clique-ish, but okay as tend to talk only in mainland Singlish but can communicate well in English with others, unless called upon to give presentation in boardroom. Needs to brush up on Mandarin. Generally more talkative with ang mohs, due to colonial hangover.

Citizenship: Many Singaporeans like hassle-free travelling benefits associated with their Singaporean passport but they always end up going to Bangkok, Hong Kong and Perth. Many thought of applying for citizenship in Australia, New Zealand and United States. But not enough drive to actually fill up the form and emigrate.


Latest bugbear: The rich like to hoard property. Those can drive like to illegal parking. Go hawker centre eat already don’t want to clear plate.

P.S. I don't own the photos I included in this blog post.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment